Rhino UK sticker: "The long-awaited vinyl reisssue of the original U.K. LP version. Remastering supervised by Johnny Marr."
"...the third studio album by the English rock band The Smiths. It was released in the United Kingdom by Rough Trade Records & in the United States by Sire Records. The album reached number two on the UK charts and number 70 on the Billboard 200 and was certified Gold by the RIAA in late 1990. At the time the group was having difficulty with their label Rough Trade, which Street characterised as "Rough Trade and EMI trying to sign up everything". Street noted, "[B]ut this didn't get in the way of recording because the atmosphere in the studio was very, very constructive." The group recorded "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" at RAK Studios in northwest London. After a brief tour, the group recorded and mixed the majority of the album at Jacobs Studios in Farnham, Surrey, during late 1985 and early 1986. The album's title comes from the name of a chapter of Hubert Selby, Jr.'s cult classic novel Last Exit to Brooklyn.The album cover of The Queen Is Dead, designed by Morrissey, features Alain Delon from the 1964 film L'Insoumis.
This description is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
1. "The Queen Is Dead" --- 6:24 2. "Frankly, Mr. Shankly" --- 2:17 3. "I Know It's Over" --- 5:48 4. "Never Had No One Ever" --- 3:36 5. "Cemetry Gates" --- 2:39 6. "Bigmouth Strikes Again" --- 3:12 7. "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" --- 3:15 8. "Vicar in a Tutu" --- 2:21 9. "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" --- 4:02 10. "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" --- 3:14
ALL SONGS WRITTEN BY MORRISSEY AND JOHNNY MARR, EXCEPT "TAKE ME BACK TO DEAR OLD BLIGHTY" (USED AS AN INTRO TO "THE QUEEN IS DEAD"), WRITTEN BY A.J. MILLS, FRED GODFREY AND BENNETT SCOTT.
* MORRISSEY --- VOCALS, BACKING VOCALS (CREDITED TO "ANN COATES"), CO-PRODUCER
* JOHNNY MARR --- GUITARS, HARMONIUM, SYNTHESIZED STRING INSTRUMENTS AND FLUTE ARRANGEMENTS, CO-PRODUCER
* ANDY ROURKE --- BASS GUITAR
* MIKE JOYCE --- DRUMS
* STEPHEN STREET --- ENGINEER (EXCEPT "FRANKLY, MR. SHANKLY")
* JOHN PORTER --- ENGINEER ("FRANKLY, MR. SHANKLY")