Product Catalog ::
Album III (180 gram)
2009 Sony/BMG reissue...""...as its title indicates, this is the third full album from Loudon Wainwright III. Album III would spawn Loudon Wainwright's most popular hit single, "Dead Skunk", making this his commercial 'breakthrough' album. "Dead Skunk" was, however one of the many 'novelty songs' sprinkled throughout Wainwright's career, and rather pigeonholed him as a latter-day Tom Lehrer, to the extent that he appeared in three episodes of M*A*S*H*. Although Wainwright has maintained an ironic, sometimes sepulchral sense of humor, Dead Skunk, despite its commercial success, has dogged him ever since, as he comments on 1985's album I'm Alright, "Were you embarressed about 'Dead Skunk'"?
To give an idea of the range of his style, arguably his next most famous song is The Man Who Couldn't Cry, covered as the last track on Johnny Cash's bleak American Recordings (vol 4) in 1994.
Nevertheless, Album III launched Wainwright into a mid-70's commercial heyday, even if his serious side was ignored in favor of his clownish one.
This is also the first of his albums to feature a full backing band on many tracks. Wainwright mostly eschewed a rocking sound for a stripped down acoustic one from the early 80's onwards.
Read more at Wikipedia about this album or artist ...
This description is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
1. "Dead Skunk" --- 3:05
2. "Red Guitar" --- 1:49
3. "East Indian Princess" --- 2:56
4. "Muse Blues" --- 2:53
5. "Hometeam Crowd" --- 1:49
6. "B Side" --- 2:26
7. "Needless To Say" --- 3:14
8. "Smokey Joe's Cafe" --- 2:31
9. "New Paint" --- 3:00
10. "Trilogy (Circa 1967)" --- 3:11
11. "Drinking Song" --- 2:55
12. "Say That You Love Me" --- 2:30
* LOUDON WAINWRIGHT III - GUITAR, VOCALS
* DAVID AMRAM - FRENCH HORN
* BROOKS ARTHUR - ENGINEER
* CHARLIE BROWN - GUITAR, ELECTRIC GUITAR
* RICHARD CROOKS - DRUMS
* RICHARD DAVIS - BASS
* THOMAS JEFFERSON KAYE - GUITAR, ARRANGER, RHYTHM GUITAR, PRODUCER
* BILL KEITH - BANJO, STEEL GUITAR
* KENNY KOSEK - FIDDLE, VIOLIN
* HUGH MCCRACKEN - GUITAR
* DON PAYNE - ELECTRIC BASS
* ELLIOTT RANDALL - ELECTRIC GUITAR
* JIM RYAN - GUITAR
* DAVID SANBORN - SAXOPHONE
* SAILOR BOB SCHMIDT - HARMONICA
* TOM WATSON - ELECTRIC BASS
* ERIC WEISSBERG - DOBRO, GUITAR
* TEDDY WENDER - PIANO